Dr Pierre Thirion
Areas of Specialty
- Prostate Cancer
- Genito-Urinary Cancers
- Gastro-Intestinal Malignancies
- Extra-Cranial Stereotactic Radiation Therapy
- Breast Cancer (Radiation Treatment)
- Radiation Oncology
- All Ireland Cooperative Oncology Research Group (ICORG)
- European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer
Dr Thirion completed his basic medical training at the University Paris V-René Descartes medical school. He completed his Fellowship in Radiation Oncology (University Paris-V), rotating through the main Parisian radiotherapy departments. In 1998, he completed an additional diploma in medical oncology (University Paris-XI). After working for two years as a Chef de Clinique des Universités – Assistant des Hôpitaux de Paris (Henri Mondor Hospital, Créteil, France). Dr Thirion completed an MD in radiobiology at the Curie Research Institute, Paris (University Paris XI-Paris Sud, 1996). He moved to Ireland in 1999 and completed a post-graduate diploma in statistics in Trinity College Dublin in 2002.
Dr Pierre Thirion is a Consultant Radiation Oncologist practising at Beacon Hospital. Dr Thirion has recognised expertise in new radiotherapy technologies, including IMRT and brachytherapy, and had a major role in the implementation and development of extra-cranial stereotactic radiation therapy in Beacon Hospital. His present areas of research and publications include:
• clinical trials methodology and meta-analyses
• the development of new radiotherapy technologies
• the implementation of radiotherapy-oriented clinical trials.
He is the principal investigator of several national and international clinical trials.