Assoc Prof Susan O'Connell
Beacon for Kids
Areas of Specialty
- Paediatric Endocrinology
- Puberty (Early & Delayed)
- Pituitary Abnormalities (Paeds/Adolescent)
- Thyroid Abnormalities (Paeds/Adolescent)
- PCOS (Adolescent)
- Adrenal Disorders (Paeds & Adolescent)
- Gynaecology (Paeds & Adolescent)
- Rare Diabetes (Paeds & Adolescent)
- Growth Delay & Syndromic Conditions Affecting Growth
- Royal College of Physicians in Ireland
- European Society of Paediatric Endocrinology
- Irish Endocrine Society Special Interest Group
- International Society of Paediatric & Adolescent Diabetes
- National Research Ethics Committee (NREC-MD)
- British Paediatric Surveillance Unit (BPSU) Scientific Committee
Associate Professor O’Connell completed her honours undergraduate medical and bachelor of science degrees in University College Dublin (1998). She completed higher specialist training in Paediatrics in 2007 and was awarded Doctorate of Medicine (MD) from Trinity College Dublin in 2009. She then completed a fellowship in Paediatric Endocrinology in Perth, Western Australia (FRACP) in 2012. She was appointed Honorary Clinical Associate Professor to RCSI in 2019.
Assoc Prof O’Connell is a Consultant Paediatric Endocrinologist in Beacon for Kids.
Assoc Prof O’Connell was appointed to Cork University Hospital in 2012. She moved to Children’s Health Ireland Crumlin in 2018 where she is a specialist in Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes. She has a major interest in rare endocrine disorders, growth disorders and clinical genetics, and is the Paediatric Lead of the Irish membership of the ENDO-ERN (European Reference Networks).