Please note that urgent appointments will always be accommodated.
Special clinical interests: Early diagnosis of prostate & bladder cancer; Benign prostatic disease; Minimally invasive / laparoscopic surgery
Research interests: Immunotherapy of cancer / cancer vaccines
Year of first medical qualification: 1989
Membership of professional bodies:
– Irish Association of Urology
– European Association of Urology
– British Association of Urological Surgeons
• Graduated Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (1989)
• Anatomy Demonstrator RCSI (1990)
• MMedSci thesis, University College Dublin, awarded with honours
• Dublin Surgical Training Programme (1991-1994)
• Northern & Yorkshire Urology Specialist Training Rotation (1994-2002)
• Clinical Research Fellow in Cancer Studies (1997-1999); Thesis title: ‘Recombinant Mycobacteria as Bladder Cancer Vaccines’, awarded with commendation
• Winner of the Bard Medal, awarded by the British Association of Urological Surgeons (2001)
• European Association of Urology scholarship to visit Prof H. Van Poppel in Belgium for sub-specialised training in pelvic oncology
• Clinical visits to India, Austria & France for advanced laparoscopic training
• Appointed as Consultant Urologist in the NHS (2002)
• Returned to Ireland as Consultant Urologist, Beacon Hospital (2006)
• Particular interest in laparoscopic urology and major complex oncology, including radical prostatectomy, cystectomy and orthotopic reconstruction.
• Examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons in undergraduate and postgraduate surgical examinations
• Appraiser of urology trainees
• Vice Chairman, Board of Trustees, Beacon Hospital
I enjoy working in a high tech environment with state of the art equipment for the diagnosis and treatment of urological problems. I work in partnership with my colleague Mr Hugh Gallagher who has been a friend for many years. We both share similar goals and aspirations with regard to the delivery of a high standard of patient care in a multidisciplinary team setting.