The Beacon Hospital Orthopaedic Physiotherapy goal is for the patient to achieve the best possible post-operative recovery and improve mobility and independence.
In order to deliver a comprehensive rehabilitation program, the in-patient orthopaedic physiotherapy service is available seven days a week. Our team of Specialist Orthopaedic Chartered Physiotherapists care for all patients who undergo orthopaedic surgery at Beacon hospital from admission through to discharge and afterwards as an outpatient to the highest standards.
Following surgery our team works closely with the surgeons and nursing staff to provide a comprehensive rehabilitation program under the care and supervision of an experienced Chartered Physiotherapist. Our Inpatient Orthopaedic Physiotherapy team will assess your individual needs to develop the most appropriate plan of care in the immediate post-operative phase, continuing on through discharge. Patients and their families should expect to work with physiotherapy staff to establish realistic goals, expected outcomes, and the most appropriate plan of care.
Our orthopaedic floor also includes a physiotherapy gym with all the equipment needed to enable a patient progress through their inpatient stay.
The most common types of surgery include:
- Joint replacement hip and knee
- Upper and lower limb fractures
- Spinal surgery
- Shoulder surgery
- Day case arthroscopic surgery
- Foot surgery
Physiotherapy treatment includes:
- Pre-operative assessment and education
- Exercise prescription and progression under the supervision of the physiotherapy team
- Mobility training including gait re-education and planning safe discharge
- Supply and fitting of braces or splints as required
- Advice and education if requested by your consultant
- Following Hip and Knee replacement surgery, our patients undergo an enhanced recovery program.
What is the enhanced recovery programme?
- The aim of the Enhanced Recovery Programme is to improve the post-operative experience and help to increase the patient’s independence and wellbeing helping patients return to normal as soon as possible.
- Research indicates that, after surgery, the earlier we get you out of bed, start walking and start eating and drinking the better.
- An Important element of the Programme is attending the pre-operative education prior to surgery in the hospital which involves education sessions from both physiotherapy and orthopaedic nursing staff which provides advice and information on the post-operative journey and discharge planning.
- You will be encouraged to carry out your tailored programme independently with the support of your physiotherapist.
- Throughout your hospital stay, you and your family can expect to participate in treatment planning and goal setting with your physiotherapist.
On discharge from in patient physiotherapy, we recommend attending post- operative physiotherapy to continue to progress with rehabilitation in the form of individual treatment or group back to fitness exercise class depending on which is most appropriate.
- “In keeping with international best practice, we have observed our enhanced recovery program has had a positive effect on our patients in terms of improved pain relief and earlier functional rehabiliation. Our multidisciplinary regime has definately enhanced the patient journey”. Maurice Neligan , Chief of Orthopaedics, Beacon Hospital
To supplement our Enhanced recovery programme, we have commenced a Supported Discharge programme for our joint replacement patients.
Patients from the South Dublin/ North Wicklow locality will be supported to go home on Day 4 post surgery by Beacon Hospital Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and healthcare staff with free visits to support you leaving hospital, bringing the hospital teams’ expertise to your home. We are proud to be the first hospital in Ireland to offer this service.
They will assist the patient with exercises, activities of daily living and general home care. Results to date show that patients are recovering better and faster in their own home with the support of Beacon hospital staff. Satisfactory surveys completed by patients have shown patients have found the experience of the additional support on discharge home most reassuring and beneficial to their recovery.
“ Great to have the visits and advice, made the transition to home very easy and gave me such confidence in leaving the Beacon”
“ Continuity of care was excellent. Knowing I had the support of the supportive discharge team was wonderful and was the main reason I chose to come home directly from hospital”
“ Provided Confidence and exceeded expectations”