Pelvic Floor Centre
Beacon Hospital’s Pelvic Floor Centre provides a comprehensive Multidisciplinary (MDT) service for treatment of patients with pelvic floor conditions such as:
- Chronic constipation
- Difficult evacuation
- Faecal and/or urinary incontinence
- Pelvic organ prolapse i.e. uterine, vaginal, bladder or rectal prolapse
- Pelvic pain
- Bladder dysfunction
The pelvic floor team at Beacon Hospital works in an environment of excellence with audit and high standards of clinical governance. They consist of highly qualified, internationally known and accredited Consultants and specialists in:
- Colorectal surgery
- Pain Medicine
Supported by Psychologist, Pelvic floor Physiotherapists, Nurse specialist and a dietitian as recommended by the “Pelvic floor Society”.*
Our aim at the centre is to provide rapid access specialist clinics and diagnostics with excellent quality of patient care. Our focus is improving the patient’s condition and quality of life which often is severely affected.
The Pelvic floor centre was established by Mr. R. Kalbassi, Consultant Colorectal surgeon at Beacon Hospital.
Mr. Kalbassi is the representative for the Pelvic Floor Society in Ireland which is an affiliate of the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland. Our centre follows standards set by the pelvic floor society with excellent outcome.
Pelvic floor dysfunctions are debilitating benign conditions affecting up to 10% of the population at some stage of their lives. The majority of patients are female but there are a smaller group of men with pelvic floor problems. For years these conditions have been poorly understood and treated. Patients and GPs have either been too embarrassed to talk about these symptoms or not aware of new treatments and clinics available.
Pelvic floor Clinics
Our pelvic floor clinics are designed to provide the patients with a detailed consultation with a specialist followed by thorough investigation and assessment to highest standards based on international guidelines. Each patient’s case is subsequently discussed at one of the centre’s pelvic floor MDT meetings where investigations are reviewed by a group of Consultants and specialists and recommendations made based on consensus opinion from our group.
Beacon Hospital has the latest and most technologically advanced diagnostics in Ireland. The endoscopy service at Beacon Hospital is internationally accredited by JCI and JAG with internationally accredited endoscopy Consultants.
We are one of the only centres in Ireland that provide Robotic pelvic reconstructive surgery including prolapse surgery.
- Specialist pelvic floor Physiotherapy
- Pelvic floor surgery including minimally invasive and Robotic pelvic floor reconstructive surgery
- Prolapse surgery
- Pelvic floor repair
- Sphincter repair
- Neuromodulation/ nerve stimulation
- Rectal irrigation
- Psychological support
Multidisciplinary Team (MDT)
- Mr. Reza Kalbassi – Consultant Colorectal and minimally invasive surgeon
- Mr. Kelvin Boos – Consultant Uro-gynaecoloist
- Mr. Wassem Kamran – Consultant Gynaecologist
- Dr. Sharon Moss, Consultant Gynaecologist
- Dr. Shiobhan Weston, consultant Gastroenterologist
- Mr. Arun Thomas – Consultant Urologist
- Dr. Peter Beddy – Consultant Radiologist
- Dr. Niall Sheehy – Consultant Radiologist
- Dr. Graham Wilson – Consultant Radiologist
- Professor James Meany – Consultant Radiologist
- Dr. Justin Lane – Consultant Pain Specialist/ Anaesthetist
- Ms. Oisine Hannon – Chartered Pelvic floor Physiotherapist
- Mrs. Aoibhín McGreal – Chartered Pelvic floor Physiotherapist
- Ms. Margaret Coleman – Colorectal Nurse Specialist
- Ms. Aoife Clynes – Dietitian