We would like to welcome you to Beacon Hospital Paediatric Services.
At present we offer Day Care and overnight procedures, which include: ENT, Orthopaedics, General Surgery, Urology, Dentistry and Ophthalmology. Your child’s safety and well being is of the utmost importance to us. Beacon Hospital hopes that by giving you the following information we will be able help you to prepare your child for their hospital admission with minimum anxiety.
If your child is ill, has any flu like symptoms or is in contact with any infectious diseases prior to surgery please contact your GP or one of the nurses at the numbers listed below as your child may need to be rescheduled for surgery. Beacon Hospital has developed a Child Protection Policy to ensure we are committed to safeguarding children, with the welfare of the child being paramount.
Your child should not come to the hospital for a planned operation for 4 weeks following the BCG or MMR. For all other vaccinations your child should not come to the hospital for a planned operation for one week after he/she has received the vaccine.
If your child has had an infectious illness or has been in contact with an infectious illness (for example chicken pox, measles, mumps) in the six weeks before a planned operation it is safer that your child does not come to the hospital.
Please contact the nursing staff at the day ward of the allocated hospital for further information.
How do I prepare?
Please ensure you follow the fasting guidelines for your child. The Scheduling Department will call you the day before the surgery to advise you of the admission time
Children due to attend Beacon for morning surgery (before 12 midday):
- Can eat and drink as normal up to 6 hours before their operation.
- Can drink milk or formula up to 6 hours before their operation.
- Can have breastmilk up to 4 hours before their operation.
- Can drink clear fluids such as water, regular 7-Up® or Sprite® 2 hours before operation.
Children due to attend Beacon for afternoon surgery (after 12 midday):
- Can eat breakfast once completed by 07:30hrs (no milk after this time)
- Intake of breast milk may be given up to four hours before induction of anaesthesia
- Can drink clear fluids such as water, regular 7-Up® or Sprite® up until 11:30 hours.
It is important to note: if you do NOT follow these fasting instructions, the surgery will be postponed or cancelled for safety reasons
What to Bring
– Nappies/nappy bags as appropriate
– Baby wipes
– Barrier cream
– Loose clothing i.e. Tracksuit
– Towel for Journey home
– A spare set of clothes
Day of your child’s operation/procedure
– Please arrive to the main Hospital Reception at the time given to you by the scheduling department at Beacon Hospital.
– No siblings are allowed on the Day Unit for Health and Safety Reasons.
– Please ensure a responsible adult will be able to look after your child for the first 24 hours after surgery.
– Due to space restrictions and health and safety only 1 parent/guardian is allowed to accompany your child to and from theatre. Any accompanying adults are welcome to use the coffee shop/canteen facilities on the 2nd or 6th floor.
– Please ensure you remove any nail varnish on your child before you come in (both fingers and toes).
After your child’s operation/procedure
– Your child will remain in the Day Unit until fully recovered from the anaesthetic; this varies for each individual child.
– Your child will be offered flat 7-up in order to slowly rehydrate. Solids are not always given as they may cause vomiting.
– We advise where possible that you have an adult to sit beside your child in the car for the journey home.
– Please follow any special instructions regarding dressing or removal of sutures given to you by the nurse on discharge.
– Your child may return to normal activity as soon as they feel able, or as per doctor’s instructions.
If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us at the number below.
Beacon for Kids: 01-650 4665