Welcome to Paediatric Occupational
Therapy in the Beacon Hospital
The Paediatric Occupational Therapy Department provides a service (assessment and treatment with associated reports and programs) to children who may be presenting with the following conditions and associated difficulties:
- Intellectual Disability
- Physical Disability
- Developmental Delay
– Fine motor skills e.g. poor development of finger grasps, poor use of 2 hands together, finger/wrist hyper mobility, poor hand dominance
– Gross motor skills e.g. poor balance, poor throwing and catching, poor core strength, clumsy/awkward with movements.
– Handwriting skills e.g. poor letter formation, poor pencil grasp, poor pencil control, poor written presentation, slow handwriting speed.
– Sensory processing e.g. touch sensitivity to clothes/textures, movement seeking behaviours e.g. fidgety in seat, on the go, poor focus and concentration, avoids messy play.
Perceptual skills e.g. difficulty with puzzles, shape recognition, spatial concepts, omits lines/words when copying written work.
– Activities of Daily Living ADLs, e.g. poor dressing skills, poor use of cutlery, poor organisational skills with books/copies etc.
Roisin is a Senior Paediatric Occupational Therapist. She qualified from the School of Occupational Therapy, University of Ulster in 2000 and has worked as an Occupational Therapist for 19 years in a variety of settings e.g. acute general hospitals, elderly care units, nursing homes, rehabilitation hospitals working with both adults and children in the areas of brain injury, stroke, spinal injury, and amputees. Roisin also worked for 2 years with the paediatric developmental team in the national children’s hospital.
Roisin has experience in a range of Paediatric conditions within the 0-18 year old caseload i.e. Autism, Dyspraxia, Intellectual and Physical Disability, ADHD/ADD, Developmental Delay, and co-ordination disorders.
Roisin has completed level one sensory integration module, and has training in integrating neurodevelopmental therapy and sensory integration. She continues to participate in relevant training on a regular basis. She is a member of the Irish Association of Occupational Therapists, and the paediatric special interest group.
To refer for an outpatient appointment, please complete a written referral and post/fax to the Allied Therapy Department in The Beacon Hospital. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org alternatively contact 01-2936692 to make an appointment. We also accept self referrals from parents/guardians.